Thursday, July 29, 2010

I need advice in social etiquette (for a teenager in UK)?

I am trying to become more of a young gentleman (I am 17) in Scotland. However, I have concern as to how I should address a lady in conversation, particularly older women for example, aged 40 and over (not that I am implying that 40 is old, it's just an example! :D)





I work in a store where I am expected to address customers properly. I know how to address men e.g. ';Good afternoon, Sir'; but I have a problem as to how to address older ladies. Do I address her as ';Miss';, ';Madam'; or ';Ma'am';?





I would greatly appreciate any answers. And thank you :)I need advice in social etiquette (for a teenager in UK)?
Oh you are lovely. And a rare breed. There is so little courtesy these days among younger people. I am not blaming them. It is just not taught these days. Though in the Baltic States men are expected to be corteous. There it is the women who have the trouble!





You just say ';Good afternoon, Madam.'; regardless of whether the lady is married or not. You often cannot tell these days. Married ladies do not always wear rings on their ring finger or unmarried ones wear a ring on that finger, and I have never been able to discern the difference between an engagement ring or a wedding ring. Or, if you know their name, then Miss/Mrs Bloggs.





Ask their opinion on something and open doors, pull out chairs for ladies and offer your seat when a bus or train is full or something. But I am sure you do that anyway. It is good to have manners and costs nothing but will earn you respect.I need advice in social etiquette (for a teenager in UK)?
Miss is generally for a young woman who is not married.


Ma'am would be a response for any woman older then you, and Madam is very formal.


A safe bet would be to use ma'am as often as possible.


If you are dealing with someone who is highly respectable, (a mayor or clergyman's wife,) Madam would be more appropriate.


Hope that helps.
Address them as Ma'am. And always smile...Offer help whenever you can, but not too much to seem overexercised about your job...
Address her as Ms. not Miss bc she might be married! Ma'am for women a little older than her 40s. Some women don't like being called Ma'am because it makes them feel old.
I am 36 and HATE it when young men call me Madam..it makes me feel old. Dont call them anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment