Thursday, July 29, 2010

I am a teenager petrified about getting my wisdom teeth removed. Advice?

My worst NIGHTMARE has come true. I have to pull out my wisdom teeth. Thankfully, I only have 2 and they have NO ROOTS, so they are just sitting under my gums like rocks. Will I NOT hear any cracking when they yank them out since there aren't any roots? How do they cut your gums opened? Do they stitch it back up?





One of them is slightly touching one of my tooth, but have not pushed any of my teeth yet. The other one is just sitting there. I was told they will use local anesthetic. Is that a shot? How many do I get? How long will it take? Typically how long will it take to heal?





I will sincerely appreciate any advice/stories.I am a teenager petrified about getting my wisdom teeth removed. Advice?
i'll just tell u exactly what i experienced when i was 16 (i'm 22 now):





i had to have 3 wisdom teeth out (weird # so they called me a mutant). they were still under the gums, no roots yet. i absolutely made sure to get them out before they grew in, knowing how hard it is once they're already attached.





i chose gas instead of an I/V cuz i wanted a quicker recovery time. they put the gas mask on me. the room started spinning. i actually took off the mask while they weren't looking b/c i felt like i was gonna vomit.





and that turned out to be the worst part of it!





cuz after that, everything's a blur. i was awake but lost in my own psychedelic trip. i watched various tools enter %26amp; exit my mouth. pretty soon, the dentist was saying ';1 down, 2 to go!'; i remember thinking ';wait, he started already?';





so yes they cut a little slit in your gum, take the tooth out, %26amp; stitch it back up. for mine, they had to saw the tooth in half first, before removing it. so i do remember him pushing down hard with the little buzzsaw for a couple seconds, but that was the most pressure i felt the whole time %26amp; it was only for one tricky bottom tooth.





and no there was no cracking or pulling sensation, not like having a permanent tooth wrenched from your jaw. the wisdom teeth just slid out.





sewing up was easy. it was weird watching him move the needle/thread in %26amp; out ur mouth when u can't feel it.





afterwards, my biggest issue was bleeding. i took a nap right after %26amp; woke up to some pain on my upper gums, where some stitches had come loose. it throbbed painfully for about 20 min, then subsided. it took a while for that particular spot to clot, but i was up and about the next day, w/ 1 swollen cheek.





so that's it! of course it all depends on your oral surgeon. i didn't even feel the needles this time, but i have during other extractions. i'm glad i stayed awake during it. but if i ever had to get another permanent tooth out, i'd take the I/V! hahaI am a teenager petrified about getting my wisdom teeth removed. Advice?
They didn't give me stitches. Mine were under skin too, had roots.





Yeah shots, Novocaine and I think something else. They don't hurt too bad. They gave me laughing gas too, didn't do anything but made me dizzy.





It took me 20 minutes to get numb and about 3 minutes to pull them out.


I think the worst part of the experience is having my face numb for 5 hours after they pulled them out. Takes about a week to heal.
Whenever they took mine out it took all day. They had to put me in the hospital tho to do that, because whenever I had my tonsils taking out I coded, so they wanted to be on the safe side with the anesthetic. My face was swollen real bad afterwards, and it took me a week - a week and a half to recover. If there just doing yours in a denist office it willnot be that bad at all tho.
Don't sweat it. They give you anesthia, and you don't feel a thing. I was 33 when I got 4 taken out - had been putting it off for years. It wasn't a big deal, and the recovery period was very short. You will be fine!
if your uncomfotable and that nervous you can anesthetic to put you under and you will not remember or fell it and if your oral surgen wont do it im sure you can find one that will
hey--i got 4 wisdom teeth taken out the year before i came to college...they gave me anesthesia, and i dont remember any of it! they stitch up your gums when they are done. the level of pain during the recovery period really varies from person to person. for me, it really wasn't that bad at all. i had very little swelling, and i wasn't bruised at all. don't worry about it so much. i promise, it really won't be that bad. i've had friends whose were worse than mine, and they didnt think it was as bad as people make it out to be either. you just get to eat lots of icecream :)
well good for you i just got all four of my wisdom teeth out this morning passing on the good news to fellow nervous people like i was surely one myself. I WAS DEATHLY scared of this proceedure. I had three impacted wisdom teeth and one coming out regularly. All of them were infected really bad and the pain was almost umbarable (spelling?) I had no choice but to get them out or they would have cracked my teeth and the infection could have spead, it just wasn't worth it. When i went in in the morning they told me exactly what they were going to do. It might be different but for me, they made an incision in my gum line, and cut the tooth in half and took it out by a half at a time. After that i got stiches but they just dissolve as time goes by. I remember sitting in the chair and i started to cry but because they gave me general anesthesia they had to give me an I.V. I remember when they put the I.V. in me (which i couldn't feel at all...just look away) the dentist said to look at a poster of fishes on the ceiling and pretty soon the fishes would start to swim. Next thing i knew i woke up and it was done. I haden't felt anything and i was so numb. I have also had local anesthesia before in a different case and you shouldn't feel anything in fact you will probably go to sleep as well. But just because there's nothing else to do, not because it makes you. Just to warn you though, the first few hours after words there is going to be a lot of blood. But that is completely normal after getting teeth removed from your body. just keep the gauze in at least an hour and then change to new ones. I had to do this only three times and i had 4 teeth taken out so yours might be a little better. Another thing that is nasty is that you'll have to mix some warm water with table salt and wash your mouth out with that. DO NOT rinse your mouth. Just put the water in your mouth and gently move your head around so the water will get everywhere and just tip your head down and open your mouth to let the water out. If you rince or swish to much you could dislodge the blood cot inside your holes and it could cause dry socket (don't be afraid about that it is easily avoided and no one has ever not recovered from it that got it) Do not drink through a straw, do not smoke, do not rince or swish, try not to cough, sneeze, or spit that much, and do not take your pain medication (which is usually vicodin) with out food...trust me on that one.MOST OF ALL DON'T THINK ABOUT TOO MUCH. I did and it made me sick and cry and after all of that it wasn't nearly what i thought it was. There is gonna be some pain, but take your medication as schedualed and everything will go a-okay! sorry this is so long i just wanted you to know that not only am i a teenager but i was sooooooo scared. right now you obviously wont know for sure what i'm talking about but when it happens you'll find out for yourself. Hope this helped and good luck, you'll be fine. I just wished someone told me this advice before i got mineLOL:)
  • mor
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment