Thursday, July 29, 2010

I am a teenager and not good at all with people can anyone give me some advice?

Ok I am 16 and I am in 11th grade and I am pretty shy, just this year am I really trying to work on not being as shy. I am working on but still I am having some issues. Up until this point my parents have always fixed my problems for talking to the teachers for me... but now I figure it is time for me to take responsibility for myself but it is hard because of my shyness. Here are some of my problems.





- I am not good with talking to people at all, especially teachers. I get really nervous and I studder, mumble, and talk way too fast.


r


I am like this with people at school too, not just teachers. Especially this guy I like, we talk all the time but I neve say much and when I do I studder, mumble and talk way too fast.








- I have a problem with making eye contact with people too and I get nervous and I look down and I play with my hair or spin in my chair or shake my leg or something...





i really need to get over this so I can get a job and for when I go to college... Any advice for me?? Thanks!!I am a teenager and not good at all with people can anyone give me some advice?
just slow down, think about what you say quickly before you say it. don't worry, this will work itself out.I am a teenager and not good at all with people can anyone give me some advice?
omg i know this doesn't answer your question, but that totally describes me lol
If you can't make direct eye contact right away, come close to doing it. Look right above their eyes or at their eyebrows.





If I know I'm going to get stuck in a situation where I need to talk to someone, or I know I'm going to be talking to a guy I like, I try and think of things to talk about beforehand. Like, I'll make a mental list like:


- Ask him about his track meet.


- Ask him about how he did on a test he told you about last time you talked to each-other.





I used to hate talking to teachers too, everyone does. Now, I just plan out exactly what I need to say to them when I have to talk to them about something. It helps a lot.





Last, but not least, practice. I know it sounds lame, but talk to yourself in the mirror. Watch your expressions, and practice making eye contact with yourself.





Hope I helped!
Just think about why you get nervous.. is there any real reason? Instead of looking directly in someones eyes, i like to kind of glance back between there eyes and nose.. it does get kind of freak after a few minutes of direct eye contact.. ha ha. Try to relax, when you get nervous your body tenses. Talk slowly and think about what you want to say. Go out with your friends, put yourself in social situations.. you will be come more comfortable with experience and practice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment